They say smiling is a universal language. Whether you share one to brighten someone’s day, or you were the recipient of someone’s kindness, a smile does more than just display your emotion.
During National Smile Month, commit to doing one thing daily to make someone smile. Here are 20 ideas to get your started.
1. Bring healthy treats to work.
2. Let someone cut in during rush hour traffic. (It’s a tough one.)
3. Let a person know you really appreciate them.
4. Visit a retirement center.
5. Fill up your spouse’s car with gas.
6. Leave a thank-you note for the cleaning staff at work.
7. Put a dime in a stranger’s parking meter before the time expires.
8. Bake a cake for a neighbor.
9. Donate clothing to a charity.
10. Give blood.
11. Offer free baby-sitting to a friend who’s really busy or just needs a break.
12. Help your neighbor clean up the front of your street.
13. Ask to see a store’s manager and comment on the great service.
14. Wave to a child in the car next to you.
15. Ask someone if they need you to pick up anything while you’re out shopping.
16. Ask a child to play a board game, and let them win.
17. Ask an elderly person to tell you about the good old days, and listen!
18. Dance with someone who hasn’t been asked.
19. Figure out someone’s half-birthday by adding 182 days, and surprise him or her with a cake.
20. Smile yourself.