Looking for a low-fat, vinegar-based slaw that’s perfect for anything from a side dish for barbeque to a topping on your tacos? This coleslaw recipe without mayo will be your new summer staple, and a healthy side dish, with a healthy amount of vitamin A from the carrots and vitamin C and vitamin K from the cabbage.
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 chopped green onions
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar (or use white vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground celery seed
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, toss the shredded cabbage, carrots and chopped green onions.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, salt, oil, dry mustard, celery seed pepper and vinegar and bring to a boil.
- Simmer until the sugar is dissolved.
- Let the mixture cool, then pour over the vegetables and toss.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
This vinegar-based slaw is delicious and tangy, but make sure you wait at least 30 minutes before you brush your teeth after enjoying.
Looking for more healthy dishes? Check out these recipes:
Leave us a comment and let us know if you’ll try this coleslaw recipe without mayo!